Tuesday, July 21, 2015

Do What Scares You

Pep Talk

Some of you may know that this weekend is an important weekend for me.  On Sunday, I will be attempting Ironman Lake Placid for the second time, hopefully with a finisher's medal in hand afterwards.  Pre-race apprehension is setting in, coupled with reminders of my painful and traumatic injury and DNF (did not finish) from last year.

Yet, despite all this nervous energy, I am excited.  Because (for the most part) I am taking on uncharted territory and challenging myself to do something totally new.  Honestly, I do not know what will happen on race day.  I know that I am trained and prepared, and ready to handle any challenges along the way to the best of my ability.  But anything can happen, and I find that both terrifying and exhilarating.

Throughout this whole Ironman training process, I have learned so much about myself -- physically, mentally, and emotionally.  When you tackle a goal that scares you, you discover parts of yourself that you never knew existed -- those small hidden pieces that show you who you really are inside.  Ironman has made me a stronger and more complete person than when I started.  No matter what the outcome, finish or DNF, nothing can take my personal growth away from me.  

I challenge you to find something that scares you and make it a reality.  Whether it's a 5K race, indoor rock climbing, zip lining, or competing in a Tough Mudder, find something that takes you outside your comfort zone.  Use it as an opportunity to discover your true self and what drives you as a person.  Embrace it as a chance to become wiser and stronger.  No matter the outcome, you cannot put a price on your personal journey.



Challenge Workout

Complete the following exercises as quickly as possible, taking breaks as needed:
  • 10 Pushups
  • 10 Lunges (each leg = 1/2 rep; both legs = 1 rep)
  • 9 Triceps Pushups
  • 9 Jumping/Hopping Lunges
  • 8 Pushups
  • 8 Lunges
  • 7 Triceps Pushups
  • 7 Jumping/Hopping Lunges
  • 6 Pushups
  • 6 Lunges
  • 5 Triceps Pushups
  • 5 Jumping/Hopping Lunges
  • 4 Pushups
  • 4 Lunges
  • 3 Triceps Pushups
  • 3 Jumping/Hopping Lunges
  • 2 Pushups
  • 2 Lunges
  • 1 Triceps Pushup
  • 1 Jumping/Hopping Lunge